2010 Dunlop Orange Bowl Blog: Bjorn Fratangelo, Entry No. 3

December 7, 2010 08:24 PM
Bjorn Fratangelo is currently ranked No. 1 in the USTA Boys' 18s and No. 48 in the ITF World Junior Rankings. The 17-year-old righthander from Pittsburgh won both the Easter Bowl and the USTA Boys’ 18s National Clay Court Championships and is seeded 16th in the 2010 Dunlop Orange Bowl. Fratangelo is writing an exclusive blog for USTA.com while competing in Key Biscayne. Check back daily for updates.
Hey everybody,

Well, I just want to start out by saying that I hope you all like the blogs that I'm writing because apparently, according to Krista Hardebeck, they aren't exciting enough. I'll admit that the first blog wasn't great, but I'm pretty sure I stepped it up for blog No. 2.

Anyways, my day started around 8:30, when I met Alex Petrone for breakfast. Since we both played at the same time, we warmed up together. We got a quick bite to eat and headed to the site for practice. It may have been the coldest day in Florida ever. I was frozen, and it took me a very long time to break a sweat in warm up.

After we warmed up, Alex and I tried to stay warm inside the players' lounge until our matches were called. I got on court around 11:30. This match was one of the hardest matches I have played in a long time. My opponent was very good. Considering the conditions (it was like playing in a hurricane), both of us played fairly well. I started out strong and took the first set very comfortably. I was feeling great, but my opponent stepped it up big time and was taking it to me in the second. I ended up losing the second set in a tiebreaker, even after having one match point. I regrouped, and we were... well, on break until the tiebreaker in the third set. It's sad to say, but neither of us could hold serve. Finally, after 3 1/2 hours, I won 7-6 in the third.

After my match, I got some lunch and just chilled in the lounge till Alexios and I went on court for doubles. We started off slow but also ended up winning in the third-set tiebreaker. I was dead when my matches ended, and all I wanted to do was go to Sir Pizza. Well, I did that. Unfortunately Marcos couldn't join me because he was playing doubles, but I'm pretty sure as I'm writing this he is downing a large pizza all by himself. I don't know what it is about that restaurant, but it's just too good.

I just got back to my hotel, and it's getting late, so I gotta get going. Hopefully, I won't have marathon matches tomorrow.

Take Care,